Just over a year on…
It is just over a year on from going back to mainstream education from the primary PRU that I worked at for four years and it has been a rollercoaster for me. I half expected to go back and hang on only. There were so many issues to deal with for me. There was an increase in class size for starters with my PRU class being no more than 7 children, working with more staff again (from 3 classes in the PRU to 21 in my school now) as well as putting a major emphasis on the teaching and far less on the behaviour.
One of the biggest issues that I had was that although I wanted to return to mainstream education, I knew that I would still pine to have an influence with behaviour on a larger scale then my classroom. Fortunately for me, I have landed in an awesome school that has allowed me to do all sorts of things. I wanted to take this opportunity to take stock and reflect as well as look forward to the coming year.
- I have been very lucky and been asked to support two of our schools in our academy trust with behaviour. I have been working with one since January and picked up the second one in June.
- I was invited to speak at a trust wide training day and delivered a workshop session which ended up being delivered to 200+ people.
- We managed to go from special measures to outstanding in all areas in 18 months in our school.
- I became accredited as a Team Teach instructor.
- I have recently being made the cluster lead (about 6 schools) for behaviour
- And to top it off, I applied for and got an Assistant Head role in the school I am working in. I will continue to teach in the morning and the rest of my time will be split with behaviour in our school, NQT responsibility in our school and supporting a few other schools.
My biggest regret is that I did not keep blogging so that is a massive way forward for the year. I have had a super year and I am delighted that I will be able to positively impact on more and more children in my new roles. Roll on for the next academic year!